*THE DEATH OF A STUDENT, VICTOR ‘OLUWA’: UNVEILING THE FACTS AND CIRCUMSTANCES*.
1. It is with a sorrowful heart that I convey the death of one of our Unizik students, Victor Maduakor (Oluwa) a 400Level student of Faculty of Arts, who was shot at School gate on the 19th February 2020, after he tried to intervene in a dispute among keke men at the gate. It is bewildering that the assailants shot him in broad daylight. To this end, the SUG President reported this case to the Police DPO in charge of Zone B Division.
2. Once news of the shooting was received, The SUG President, Comr. Samuel Jude, immediately and personally, rushed him to Unizik Medical Centre, and thereafter, used the SUG Bus to rush him down to Nnewi Teaching Hospital, using his personal money, in excess of N50,000 to settle the hospital bill and treatment commenced on him.
3. Meanwhile, as these were going on, the SUG President had already made an application to the School authorities, for the provision of funds for the prompt treatment of the student, but nothing was provided by school at that juncture. It is astonishing to note, that the SUG President wanted the funds to be made from the Union’s account, but the school administration refused blatantly.
4. And the sad thing was, the major impediment to the student’s efficient treatment was funding, and at this time, ths Bus stand has already been taken from the students.
5. So, while the funds remained a problem, the SUG President kept on calling the Dean of Students Affairs and Vice Chancellor, but nothing was forthcoming.
6. Soon after, one of the doctors at NAUTH, Nnewi recommended that he should be moved to University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH), Enugu which the SUG President and SUG Team quickly carried out using the SUG Bus.
7. About fifteen students also were mobilized by the SUG to donate blood to the shot student, Victor Maduakor (Oluwa).
8. As money/funds were not forthcoming from school authorities, the SUG President continued to provide the funds for feeding and other expenses. It got to a point where the SUG even solicited for funds from students.
9. While Victor Maduakor (Oluwa) was operated on, after the SUG brokered a funding arrangement for his surgery, he had heart complications on the 4th of April, 2020 after the UNTH doctors removed his heart tube on the costly assumption that he was fine without it. But, at about 11 o’clock Pm, he started screaming for help and as they were no doctors on duty, he was reported dead at the early hours of this morning.
9. What baffles the SUG is the none response by the school administration, and the non-provision of funds by the school authorities, which if it has been provided, caused the student to be treated promptly. I will not mince words to say that if the school authorities had acted promptly to release the funds for his hospitals bills, this young student would have been treated early, and these complications that led to his death wouldn’t have occurred. Infact, We failed this young man with dreams and aspirations.
10. The SUG President wishes to convey his deep sorrow on this awful happenings and commiserates with the family, friends and kin of our dear student, Victor Maduakor (Oluwa).
11. Most importantly, I wish to debunk the rumours going round that our dear student was a cultist. This is a lie and I condemn this rumour and the peddlers in entirety. Our dear Victor Oluwa was a law-abiding student of the highest order, whi because of his integrity got appointed as one of the Taskforce members. It is worthy of note that he was shot while trying to maintain peace and order along ifite road. He should be decorated as a hero he is.
I also wish to use this medium to promise our students, that effective measures would be put in place to ensure this acts don’t happen again.
With mourning and a sorrowful heart,
*Comr. SAMUEL JUDE CHIMUANYA,*
Students Union Government(SUG).
Nnamdi Azikiwe University(Unizik), Awka.